posted to rec.boats.electronics
Lynn Coffelt Lynn Coffelt is offline

Default Furuno Radar Problem

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message
In article ,
"Lynn Coffelt" wrote:

Oh, for gosh sakes, I thought as an "Old Timer", I'd seen or heard of
everything!
I've never seen that bearing froze up!
Thanks for reporting back.

Old Chief Lynn

That really makes no sense Lynn. If the Bearing was froze, the antenna
wouldn't Rotate, and it wuld be evident externally. Now if the Rotory
Joint was froze, the Alignment Keeper on the top of the T/R Pan, would
have to be missing, or broken to allow for the miss-alignment of the two
Flanges. It should only give a very narrow widow of passable RF. Just
a couple of degrees, plus or minus, at each correct alignment.

If the later, is the case, then I am with you, very strange occurance,
indeed.....

Bruce in alaska that would be one for the Books.......

Yup, once in a while the scanner bearing seal or water in the motor
housing would let the scanner main bearing get corroded or filled with gunky
stuff, but never saw the rotating joint freeze up!
I have, a couple of times, managed to successfully break, bend or
otherwise defeat the waveguide alignment scheme. Targets were not all that
lively, and wiped out the crystals in fairly short order. Probably didn't do
the maggie too much good either. Head hanging in shame. Again.

Old Chief Lynn