posted to alt.sailing.asa
Captain Hook Captain Hook is offline

Default Who are you gonna listen to?

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 22:23:14 -0500, "Ellen MacArthur"
wrote:

Are you gonna listen to LSD 10X popping flashback people like Capt. JG or scientests with real
credentials? Like this guy?

http://www.desmogblog.com/tiim-ball-...johnson-update

50. The Defendants (the Calgary Herald) state that the Plaintiff
(Ball) never held a reputation in the scientific community as a noted
climatologist and authority on global warming. The particulars of the
Plaintiff's reputation are as follows:

(a) The Plaintiff has never published any research in any
peer-reviewed scientific journal which addressed the topic of human
contributions to greenhouse gas emissions and global warming;

(b) The Plaintiff has published no papers on climatology in
academically recognized peer-reviewed scientific journals since his
retirement as a Professor in 1996;

(c) The Plaintiff's credentials and credibility as an expert on the
issue of global warming have been repeatedly disparaged in the media;
and

(d) The Plaintiff is viewed as a paid promoter of the agenda of the
oil and gas industry rather than as a practicing scientist.

Timothy F. Ball (Tim Ball)
Inflates credentials
http://www.desmogblog.com/timothy-f-ball-tim-ball

Ball and the oil industry

Ball is listed as a "consultant" of a Calgary-based global warming
skeptic organization called the "Friends of Science" (FOS). In a
January 28, 2007 article in the Toronto Star, the President of the FOS
admitted that about one-third of the funding for the FOS is provided
by the oil industry. In an August, '06 Globe and Mail feature, the FOS
was exposed as being funded in part by the oil and gas sector and
hiding the fact that they were. According to the Globe and Mail, the
oil industry money was funneled through the Calgary Foundation
charity, to the University of Calgary and then put into an education
trust for the FOS.

Ball inflates credentials

Ball and organizations he is affiliated with have repeatedly made the
claim that he is the "first Canadian PhD in climatology." Even
further, Ball once claimed he was "one of the first climatology PhD's
in the world." As many people have pointed out, there have been many
PhD's in the field prior to Ball.

Ball and the NRSP
Ball is listed as an "Executive" for a Canadian group called the
"Natural Resource Stewardship Project," (NRSP) a lobby organization
that refuses to disclose it's funding sources. The NRSP is led by
executive director Tom Harris and Dr. Tim Ball. An Oct. 16, 2006
CanWest Global news article on who funds the NRSP, it states that "a
confidentiality agreement doesn't allow him [Tom Harris] to say
whether energy companies are funding his group."

Ball's research history

Ball retired from the University of Winnipeg in 1996 and a search of
22,000 academic journals shows that, over the course of his career,
Ball has published 4 pieces of original research in a peer-reviewed
journal on the subject of climate change Ball has not published any
new research in the last 11 years.

Global Warming: The Cold, Hard Facts?

By Timothy Ball
Monday, February 5, 2007

Global Warming, as we think we know it, doesn't exist. And I am not the only one trying to
make people open up their eyes and see the truth. But few listen, despite the fact that I was
the first Canadian Ph.D. in Climatology and I have an extensive background in climatology,
especially the reconstruction of past climates and the impact of climate change on human
history and the human condition."Few listen, even though I have a Ph.D, (Doctor of Science)
from the University of London, England and was a climatology professor at the University of
Winnipeg." . For some reason (actually for many), the World is not listening.

Here is why.

Dr. Tim Ball: The Lie that Just Won't Die
5 Feb 07

The deathless and - in many specific respects - completely fictional
meanderings of Dr. Tim Ball have begun appearing again on right-wing
blogs all over the net. At City Troll, at Convenient Untruth and at
New Orleans Lady, the same tired and retreaded old climate rant paints
Dr. Ball as the courageous victim of a plot to silence a well-meaning
skeptic.

But Ball can't even tell the truth about his own resume. His claim to
be the first Climatology Ph.D. in Canada is a total falsehood; his
degree was in historical geography - not climatology - and it was
nowhere near the first ever granted to someone writing vaguely in the
field.