Don White

Default Boat and trailer tow weights

** And don't forget about brakes on your trailer.
I'm struggling with the same issues.
1200 lb sailboat + 400 lb trailer + outboard on a Voyager rater for 2000
lbs. They recommend brakes on trailer if load exceeds 1000 lbs. ***

"Denis Roy" wrote in message
I'm using a chevy venture to tow a 17 1/2' sea ray with 100 hp outboard.
I'm guessing total weight to be about 2500 pounds. The venture is rated

tow 3500 pounds but seems to be struggling a bit with this beast. It

tends
toward overheating. I rarely have to tow this on the highway. I mostly

go
2 blocks to the boat launch ramp. If I were towing a lot of miles, I

would
need a better tow vehicle.

Any front wheel drive vehicle is not optimal for towing. You may have

boat
ramp traction issues and the transmissions are delicate and expensive.
Install a transmission cooler regardless of the trailer you choose.

--
Denis Roy
D. Roy Woodcraft
"Tran" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm considering becoming a first-time boater. I know next-to-nothing

about
boating, but have been doing some online research. I can probably only
afford something that I can trailer and launch myself; town boat launch

is
about 4 miles from my house. My tow vehicle would be a 2003 Kia Sedona
mini-van. It is rated to tow up to 3500 lbs, but total Gross Weight is
about is 5959 lbs., so really I can probably tow about 3300 for the

short
distance to town launch, or less if I want to put wife and kids in the

van
and go farther. My question is, what size/type boats should I be

looking
at? I would like a "ballpark" idea of boat/motor/trailer combined

weights,
so I don't waste time looking at ones I couldn't possibly hope to tow.
Since I have small kids, I like the cuddy style more than the bowrider
(porta-potty and nap spot) but I'm guessing they are heavier. Anyone

who
could give me some clues, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Tom