Mark Borgerson Mark Borgerson is offline

Default Jim Grey disappearance

In article , rlong003
@maine.rr.com says...
I've been asked by private email to comment on the Bill Grey disappearance.

Back when I was flying general aviation airplanes, I had a lot more
opportunity to the mysterious deaths of people engaged in my favorite
activity. When a plane went down without clear cause, the newsgroups I
frequented then would erupt with speculation followed by flames about the
futility and disrespect of speculation.

I never found the speculation that objectionable myself as long as people
were not claiming to have the answer because of their superior knowledge,
intellect, and analytical skills. Safety in any hazardous environment is
always enhanced by pondering what could go wrong and how you would prevent
or respond to it.

Although I now get paid for applying my knowledge, intellect, and analytical
skills to things like the sinking of the Titanic, I couldn't begin to form
an opinion about what actually happened here. However, it's instructive for
anyone who takes a small craft to sea to think about how this this boat
could have disappeared so suddenly that no distress call could be made.

If there's only one person aboard, and that person goes overboard,
the boat can take as long as it wants to disappear, and there won't
be a distress call.

Mark Borgerson