posted to rec.boats.electronics
Shaun Van Poecke Shaun Van Poecke is offline

Default need instructions to build a stop switch for a wind generator

"joseph" wrote in message
oups.com...
Depends on what wind generator you have but Ampair has installation
manuals on their web site and the 300 manual shows how to wire in a
tree way stop switch. But again the generator needs to support it. You
might contact the manufacturer for the exact installation.

I dont have any experience with tree way switches despite having worked in
forrestry for a while ;-), but for a really cool stop switch, get down to
your local electronics stores and find one of those aircraft style missile
launch switches with the protective red cover. they cost about $5 for a
really nice one. Epoxy it somewhere prominent and make up a very
professional looking label with a labeling machine if you have one saying
'stop'. this is a great switch. wiring it up to work is entirely another
matter which is completely beyond me!

I dont have a wind generator on my boat yet, but i work as a boilermaker so
the idea of basic engineering is not beyond me. depending on how big your
generator is, Id try to approach it more from a mechanical viewpoint than an
electrical one. how hard is the blade to take off? is there some
possibility of making it easier to remove? If i was going into a big blow,
id want it off!

The idea of the disc brake is a pretty good one.... a disc brake combined
with a locking pin and then removing the blade seems like the safest idea.
If you leave that blade up there but locked in place you'll soon find the
weakest link in the chain, and im sure it wont be pleasant ;-) that energy
has to go somewhere!

Shaun