posted to rec.boats.electronics
Geoff Schultz Geoff Schultz is offline

Default need instructions to build a stop switch for a wind generator

Roger Mexico wrote in
:

nollaigoc wrote:

One switch will connect the wind gen to the batteries, while the
other will be connected accross the wind gen output terminals and the
single key will safely do the switching

Depending on the type of wind generator, you likely don't want to do
this. When you open the circuit to the batteries, you've just
disconnected the load from an inductive circuit with current flowing
in it (assuming the wind generator is spinning, which is why you want
to stop it in the first place). If the wg is a generator-type (has
brushes and a commutator) you'll get a voltage spike, maybe a burned
switch or other damage. If its an alternator-type, you run the risk
of blowing the recifying diodes as well. Same issue as disconnecting
the batteries from the alternator on your engine when the engine's
running.

I don't have any practical experience with this, just some theory.
A generator-type wg must have some way of isolating the batteries when
the wind's not blowing so there must be a diode or some sort of
regulator in there already. In the alternator-type, the rectifiers
which convert the AC to DC also serve to isolate the batteries, so
there's not likely to be anything else.

Assuming you get by the battery isolation problem, shorting the wind
generator may damage it, depending on the construction of the windings
and in the case of the alternator-type the current rating of the
diodes, along with how fast it's turning when you hit the switch.
You're basicly using the resistance of the windings as the full load
on the wind generator when you do this. Some may be designed to take
this for the time it takes to shut down, I don't know the specifics.

I'm going to be playing around with this a couple of weeks from now,
in connection with building a shunt regulator for the wg, which is the
same sort of problem as the stop switch. I'm thinking a Schottky
(sp?) barrier diode (lower voltage drop) to isolate the batteries, and
some sort of progressive load increasing to short for shutdown to stay
within the max current ratings of my alternator-type wind generator.

FYI: The KISS generator has a single switch which either connects the
output of the generator to the rectifier or shorts the wind generator.

-- Geoff