posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring,rec.boats.paddle
Drew Dalgleish Drew Dalgleish is offline

Default Nestling boats

Most of the swift canoes have straight or slightly flared sides so
they may nest. On most newer canoes the bouyancy chambers are so big I
doubt that a 16' would fit in a 17' more likely a 15' in a 17'

"riverman" wrote in message
oups.com...
Long time trippers probably know that a 16' Explorer will fit nicely
inside the hull of a 17' Explorer (if you remove the thwarts and seats
from the larger boat) which makes it very convenient for transporting
boats. I've done this to fly in boats on the pontoons of single engine
Otters in the NWT.

My question; since modern Explorers aren't the same quality as the old
hulls, are there any other boat pairs that nestle like this? The key
is that the clearance inside the larger boat with the inwhales
intact has to allow the smaller boat to fit inside.

Anyone know of any other nicely-fitting pairs of boats, preferably in
the 16 and 17 foot range?

Chestnut used to make nesting sets. I dunno of any manufacturer promoting
the idea now.

The other thing is that you might be able to buy a couple of Kleppers and a
couple of Maule trips for the princely fare for the Beaver, Otter or 185
cargo/passenger trips. You can get into more places too. Out of, too, maybe.

Fred