Budd Cochran

Default Newbie needs advice

We had a 16 foot Grumman that I bought thru the aluminum recycler I worked
for back in the early 90's when we were Foster Parenting.

With the outriggers, made from stacked chunks of pink insulation foam, it
was impossible to swamp it, but it lacked room for our fishing gear.

Budd
(who's beginning to believe there isn't a boat made that will work for him.)

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
ink.net...
Sounds silly, but you may want to look into kayaks/canoes. Easy to
launch/rather lightweight, manual powered. I'm only mildly disabled, so a
regular canoe works for me, but my friend is much worse off and has an
outrigger canoe. Extremely stable/lightweight

"Budd Cochran" wrote in message

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Budd Cochran wrote:
OK, folks. I'm thinking of getting my first new boat and I need
some advice.

I'm thinking I need a light, trailerable boat ( my tow vehicle is a
95 Chrysler LeBaron FWD) with about a 1000 pound capacity (I'm
physically handicapped and I figure a somewhat larger craft will be
more stable for entry and egress but I need it to be pretty light
in weight ( because the car has only a one ton tow capacity) so I
can load and launch it easily.

My physical limitations are from blood pressure and heart trouble,
diabetes and Post Polio Syndrome.

So, what styles / lengths / brands should I look at?? I once had a
used 12 foot aluminum Jon boat, but it was a bit narrow and quite
tender when approaching hull capacity. I borrowed my brother's old
aluminum 12 foot Sears rowboat once and lightly loaded it was fun,
but it was a bit heavy to cartop (this was before the health probs
hit.)

Oh, price is important too. I may go for a used boat / trailer if I
find a great deal. VBG

TIA

Budd

A 16' carolina Skiff....wide, stable, not too heavy. But one of your
considerations should be where you are planning to use the boat.,

I like to fish at a nearby irrigation reservoir, Ken's Lake, near my
home in Moab, Utah. It varies from about 2 to 4 acres and a maximum
depth of about 80 ft. My eldest son says it's smaller than the flight
deck on his ship ( CVN 75, Harry S. Truman) while he was in the
Navy. It's also limited to sail, manual or electric propulsion.

Budd