Harry Krause

Default Buying an '86 Mako CC 224...is it gonna break in half?

MJ Mandrano wrote:

This is not a joke-- I could truly use some expert wisdom here. We
put a deposit on a nice '86 Mako with a new Yamaha 225, and stopped at
the boat supply store to pick out goodies for it on the way home.
When the salesman (OK, he was a kid, but still...) heard us say
"Mako", he warned us to stay away from Mako's, then launched into a
tale of how both he and his "friend Darryl" had split their respective
Mako's in two by taking them offshore (in this case, the Hudson
Canyon). My husband and I must have gone fish-belly white at that
point; needless to say it put a total DOWNER on our excitement over
the new boat (our first CC). This kid says all Mako's have a
structural flaw that makes them split right across forward of the
console. Aaaakk!! Have we made the total mistake of our lives, or
should we not be listening to someone who is actually younger than the
boat is?? Is there any truth to this?

The kid and his friend Darryl are smoking hemp. Every boat manufacturer
has had a lemon or two, but I've never heard of any numbers of Makos
failing that way. In the 90's, Mako QC fell a few notches, and I don't
know if it was restored, but that had little to do with the integrity of
the hulls.