[email protected] toadspam@mac.com is offline

Default Autopilot NMEA question for gear heads

On Feb 1, 6:29 pm, "Roger Long" wrote:
I just bought a Raymarine ST1000 Plus tiller autopilot for my Endeavour 32.
The astute among your will immediately wonder how this will work on a 13,000
pound 32 foot wheel driven boat. The unit will just drive the vane servo
shaft on the Cape Horn steering gear now on order. We could have bought even
a smaller tiller pilot if one was available.

Since I was trying to buy the smallest and cheapest unit I could get, I was
surprised to find out how sophisticated it is. Given the right NMEA input,
it evidently will follow a track to a waypoint instead of just blindly
maintaining a given course. It will even rollover to a new waypoint and run
another leg.

The Raymarine manual describes the inputs needed to follow a track but in
plain English. The Garmin manual for the GPSmap 76Cx I will be using says:

The following are the sentences for NMEA 0183, Version 3.01 output:

Approved sentences-

GPGCA

GPGLL

GPGSA

GPGSV

GPRMB

GPRMC

GPRTE

GPVTG

GPWPL

GPBOD

GPAPB

If anyone could annotate a quoted copy of this list I would appreciate it. I've
tried to find a listing via Google but the only one I can turn up is quickly
replaced by another page before I can read it. Presumably, the Capt'n wants
you to buy the information.

A link to a similar but readable listing would also help.

Any tips or experience interfacing and using one of these autopilots with a
GPS also appreciated.

--
Roger Long

Roger,

The ST1000 manual (http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/Default.asp?
site=1&SECTion=3&Page=337&Parent=166) on page 47 lists the NMEA inputs
accepted. And what sentences contain each item.

Most likely if you just wire up the Garmin and the ST1000, it will
work. The garmin most likely is set to transmit the most usefull NMEA
sentences allready. Sentence APB (Autopilot B) seems most
appropriate.

Check crossing of NMEA + and - if it doesn't work.

Todd Smith