posted to alt.sailing.asa
Mowe Z. Slowley Mowe Z. Slowley is offline

Default Propeller Shaft Vibration

Milton Waddams wrote:
Here's an unusual problem I experienced this last season and I'd like
to see if anyone can figure it out without going through the ordeal I
had to. I got my boat all set up for the new season, new paint,
polish, sacrificial electrodes and so on. First time out the whole
boat vibrated noticeably in forward and reverse. I had it pulled,
removed the fixed 2 blade prop and had it checked for balance. The
dynamic balance was right on. I checked the shaft for straightness
without removing it, reinstalled the prop and took the boat out again.
Same vibration, so I had it pulled again and took the shaft and prop
in for a check. Dyno balance on the prop A-ok, the shaft was true and
passed static balance no problem. I even had them check the static
balance with the shaft anode collar on, all ok. Put it all together,
took it out and still no difference! I was ready to beat the wife and
kick the dog! I was going to pull the transmission when a guy at the
dock mentioned I should try one more test on the shaft, prop and
collar. Sure enough, it found and fixed the problem. What was the test
and what did it find? It had nothing to do with engine or transmission
mounts, it was all external to the hull. I hope you enjoy this brain
twister, I didn't (at the time).

Milton

magnetism?

--
Stop WW3!!

"Remember: Only YOU can prevent Forest Fires!"
....Smokey the Bear