Alan Gomes Alan Gomes is offline

Default Ericson 27/28 Opinions?

Alan Gomes wrote:
Gordon wrote:
snip

Just had a Yankee 30 trucked from Marina Del Rey. $1.50 per mile.
Trucker was telling me there are so many used boats in Cal that won't
sell that the owners just abandon them in the marinas and the marinas
chop them up. Masts cut into pieces for scrap, lead keels scrapped
out, and the glass hull cut up and dumpstered. He buys a lot of boats
for resale and may well have an Ericson. AND he will deliver it.
Another nice, nice boat is the Cal 29. And I know he has 2 of those
for around 8k.
Email me privately if you want a name and number.
Gordon

The ones that are abandoned at the marinas are typically not worth
having and that's why they are cut into pieces. While I've seen a few
exceptions to that, generally the abandoned boats are trashed and even
getting them for free would not be a good deal.

The Cal 29 is a great boat. The have excellent sailing characteristics.
However, don't get too excited about an $8K price. You should have no
problem finding one for $8K (especially if you don't mind an Atomic 4),
so that's not really such an amazing deal. In fact, there is one for
sale in my marina with a current asking price of $3950. It's a bit dowdy
but not "trashed" by any means. If you want one in really fine shape
expect to pay closer to $12K. On the Cal 29 I'd have the surveyor check
carefully the steel mast support beam that runs athwartships, as these
rust out over time and are beastly difficult to replace so far as I
know. Otherwise, these are terrific boats.

--Alan Gomes

One other comment: Maybe the $8K price is a really good deal if the
delivery to you is included (assuming you can't find Cal 29's up there
for as cheap as they are down here). My comments simply apply to what
the selling prices of these boats down here. $8K would be an OK price
but certainly nothing exceptional or amazing.

--AG