Gordon Gordon is offline

Default Ericson 27/28 Opinions?

Alan Gomes wrote:
druid wrote:
Hi,

As I said a while ago, I'm downsizing and looking for a boat under $20K
CDN - hopefully under $10K purchase price so I'll have some bux to fix it
up. I was looking at the Catalina 27, mainly because it's by far the the
most common 27-footer around here, but...

A poster on BCBoatnet (http://www.bcboatnet.org) suggested an Ericson,
and
I did a little looking. All of them are in the US, most East-coast (or at
least not West Coast ), but some can be had for around $10K, and they
look pretty good.

I know the Ericson is better-built than the Catalina, and the poster says
they're faster too (not sure about that...). So: opinions? stories?
experiences? Noted a coincidence: I just looked at the thread here about
the boat in the surf, and it sure looks like an Ericson 27/28! And I was
impressed by it staying afloat and returning upright after the rollover.
Tough boat!

Oh: also, any idea how much it would cost to truck a 27ft sailboat from
California to BC?

druid

I looked at quite a few Ericson 27s and some 29's of 1970's/80's vintage
when I was last in the market for a boat. I think they are well
constructed boats generally, but for some reason they seemed to have
more issues with deck delamination than some of the other brands I
looked at. Obviously mine was not a massive sample size but, as I
recall, it was nearly every one I looked at. Of course any boat that age
can have problems such as these and needs a thorough going over. If you
can find one in good shape then I think it would be a fine
boat--definitely a better "fit and finish" than the Catalina. (I say
that as a reasonably satisfied owner of a Catalina 30.)

As for Catalina 27s: There are lots of them available here in So.
California, easily for under $10K. In fact, for $10K I'd expect one to
be in outstanding shape and well equipped. But the shipping costs in
your case would turn it into not such a great deal, IMO.

Regards,
Alan Gomes

Just had a Yankee 30 trucked from Marina Del Rey. $1.50 per mile.
Trucker was telling me there are so many used boats in Cal that won't
sell that the owners just abandon them in the marinas and the marinas
chop them up. Masts cut into pieces for scrap, lead keels scrapped out,
and the glass hull cut up and dumpstered. He buys a lot of boats for
resale and may well have an Ericson. AND he will deliver it.
Another nice, nice boat is the Cal 29. And I know he has 2 of those
for around 8k.
Email me privately if you want a name and number.
Gordon