posted to alt.sailing.asa
Ellen MacArthur Ellen MacArthur is offline

Default Stay tension

"Edgar" wrote
No, it is not harder. Tighten all three up to a decent tension so that the
mast is upright and there is no slackness that can lead to fatigue failure
when not in use. Then, when you hoist your jib, tension up the jib really
hard so that the forestay does go a bit slack and the luff wire of the jib
has all the tension. The remaining two shrouds will then be correctly
tensioned.

It's harder for me because the wire in my jib rusted and the eye splice
and thimble broke right off. I'm having to unstitch all along the luff to get
the rest of the rusty broken wire cable out of there. So I can't hoist up the
jib really hard or it might rip. So I have to do it with the shrouds and stay
all by themselves...

Cheers,
Ellen