RW Salnick RW Salnick is offline

Default High output alternator on a Bukh DV24

Jeff inscribed in red ink for all to know:
KLC Lewis wrote:

Essie has a Model 20 Universal (5416) 16hp Diesel, fitted with a 50
Amp alternator. The biggest alternator I can put on this engine,
according to my research, is an 80 Amp.

What is the limitation? I would agree that with size of the bank more
than 80 might not be cost effective, but the small case alternators go
up over 100 Amps.

When I install my new batteries this year, I'll have 375 ah aboard,
being charged by that small alternator and supplimented by my two 35
watt solar panels. I have no illusions that I will be able to
fully-charge that bank with my onboard charging capabilities -- my aim
is to set out with as much amp-hours as I can get so that I don't
draw-down my batteries as much as I would if they were smaller. Back
in the slip, the 50 Amp shorepower charger can complete the job. The
80 Amp alternator, if I fit it, will be close to 25% of bank capacity,
but not quite. The 50 Amp alternator is only 15.5% of capacity, which
will probably prompt me to go ahead and upgrade the alternator. But
that's not exactly cheap.

Aside from any physical limitations, there is the matter of horsepower -
turning that laternator isn't free you know. At 12 V, a 100 amp
alternator is delivering 1.2 kw. At 100 % efficiency of conversion
(unrealistic), this represents nearly 2 HP. At more realistic
efficiencies, this is more than 2 HP. This is only a 16 hp engine...

bob
s/v Eolian
Seattle