Jeff Jeff is offline

Default High output alternator on a Bukh DV24

KLC Lewis wrote:

Essie has a Model 20 Universal (5416) 16hp Diesel, fitted with a 50 Amp
alternator. The biggest alternator I can put on this engine, according to my
research, is an 80 Amp.

What is the limitation? I would agree that with size of the bank more
than 80 might not be cost effective, but the small case alternators go
up over 100 Amps.

When I install my new batteries this year, I'll have
375 ah aboard, being charged by that small alternator and supplimented by my
two 35 watt solar panels. I have no illusions that I will be able to
fully-charge that bank with my onboard charging capabilities -- my aim is to
set out with as much amp-hours as I can get so that I don't draw-down my
batteries as much as I would if they were smaller. Back in the slip, the 50
Amp shorepower charger can complete the job. The 80 Amp alternator, if I fit
it, will be close to 25% of bank capacity, but not quite. The 50 Amp
alternator is only 15.5% of capacity, which will probably prompt me to go
ahead and upgrade the alternator. But that's not exactly cheap.