Jeff Jeff is offline

Default High output alternator on a Bukh DV24

Lauri Tarkkonen wrote:

The point is, that if you increase your chargin capasity, then you have
to increase the battery capasity. The fastest chargin happens when the
batteries are relatively empty, there are "rules of thumb" like 40 - 80,
meanin that start charging when your batteries are almost half empty and
go until they are about 80 full. If the batteries go much deeper than 40
(you might have some other limits (30 or 50) it is not good for the
batteries and to fill them up to some 95 - 100 will take enorm time.
You have to have enough batteries that you do not regularly overstep the
limits, then your 100 A Balmar will be just fine.

You're right. While at anchor, I have little hope of fully charging
the bank. However, if we power somewhere for several hours, that does
bring it up close to 100%.

I try to avoid going below 50%, so that means I follow the now
traditional 50%-85% regime.