Lauri Tarkkonen Lauri Tarkkonen is offline

Default High output alternator on a Bukh DV24

In Jeff writes:

Larry wrote:

Has anyone had experience of fitting a 100A high output alternator to
a Bukh DV24 engine to either replace or supplement the 50A standard
alternator?

Doesn't matter if it's a 1000A alternator with 8 belts. Your batteries
will still charge about 25% of their AH capacity for about 5-8 hours to
recharge them. As long as the alternator has the capacity to drive the
loads plus 25% of the AH capacity of the house batteries (after the first
10 minutes when boaters DREAM the batteries are all charged up because
the current dropped off) the alternator is big enough. Overkill will NOT
recharge the batteries in 30 minutes, a pipe dream until the nanotube Ni-
Mh 3 minute batteries are delivered in the near future. THEN, you'll
need the 4000A alternator for 3 minutes to a 100% charge.

1920 lead-acid technology charges SLOWLY over HOURS not minutes....sorry.

80A is plenty....over 1100 watts, which would soon boil the electrolyte
and warp up the plates if the battery didn't prevent it at 14.2V.

Why are you so obsessed about this, Larry? Its gotten to the point
that you're just ranting nonsense!

The truth is that many cruisers have over 400 Amp-Hours of batteries.
My boat, for example, was designed to carry 4 6V golf carts (Trojan
T-105s), for about 450 AH as the house bank, or 520 AH if I use the
oversized T-145. A pair of 8D's will be in the same range.

I frequently charge with a 110 Amp Balmar and it puts out 105 Amps
when started, and it stays up of 90 Amps for quite some time. I
usually charge when the bank is down 200 AH, and bring it up 120 AH,
so I'm running for roughly 90 minutes. If I used a smaller
alternator, or a less aggressive regulator, that time would go up 10
or 15 minutes. While this might seem like a small thing, after
running for over 90 minutes one starts thinking the saving 15 minutes
might be worth some real money.

These aren't made up numbers; I've been doing this for about 6 weeks
every summer for the last 8 years, and with a similar but smaller
setup on my previous boat for 8 years before that. Lest you claim
that the high charge rate is cooking the batteries, there might be
some truth, but my first set of Trojans lasted 6 years, and might have
gone longer except illness prevented me from giving them proper care
one winter. Since the Trojans are cheap ($70 each) this is not a big
deal.

There's absolutely no reason why the OP shouldn't use a 100 Amp
alternator, assuming he has a large enough bank.

The point is, that if you increase your chargin capasity, then you have
to increase the battery capasity. The fastest chargin happens when the
batteries are relatively empty, there are "rules of thumb" like 40 - 80,
meanin that start charging when your batteries are almost half empty and
go until they are about 80 full. If the batteries go much deeper than 40
(you might have some other limits (30 or 50) it is not good for the
batteries and to fill them up to some 95 - 100 will take enorm time.
You have to have enough batteries that you do not regularly overstep the
limits, then your 100 A Balmar will be just fine.

- Lauri Tarkkonen