posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] terry@terryking.us is offline

Default Need Info to Make Whole Deck Removable -- 2nd Try

Jay Chan wrote:
Please let me know what you think about my questions in the original
post. Thanks.

** Jay, I'll post a few comments here; probably more later.. It's
Midnight here in Africa..
A (Few?) basic questions:
- How big is the boat? Length/Beam?
- Outboard, right??
- Is the whole hull glass/plastic?
- Is the transom sound?
- I picture an open boat where you walk on the "Deck" which is low in
the boat. Right? I might call that a "floor". Do I have the right
picture?? Got a camera?? :-)
- How does the existing deck connect to the hull? Side/Bottom? Or an
inner wall section?
- Does the center console sit on glassed-wood stringers or braces on
the hull bottom, or was it suspended by the deck?
- Um, Fresh Water or Salt? Mostly...

----------------------- Original Post -----------------------

The core of the deck of my small center console is totally wet and
rotten. I am thinking of taking this opportunity to make the whole
deck removable.

...snip

I will use 3 layers of 1/4" marine
plywood to form the new deck, glass it, and place it over where the old
deck was, and allow its edge to butt against the gunwale, and then
screw the new deck to the frame.

** I've built and rebuilt frames and floors, using wood, plywood,
glass cloth and West Epoxy.
I'm sure you can do this, with some planning.. I think you need to
get the old deck pulled out before you make any decisions; you may
find surprises. Hopefully no squirrels, like I did :-)

Currently, the old deck is integrated with both the left and
right gunwale in one piece.

**?? Is the "Gunwale" an inner wall, separate from the hull side??
Hmmm..

**?? How close is the "deck" level to the outer chine level?

If this is the case, I will have to leave some of
the old deck in place to hold the boat together. I hope not, and I
have a feeling that it doesn't. But I don't have enough experience in
how a boat generally comes together. Therefore, I would like to hear
what other people may say.

**Hmmmm

How many layer of fiberglass that we should put on top and on the
bottom of the new deck? As mentioned above, the new deck is going to
be composed of three layers of 1/4" marine plywood.

** Why are you using 3 layers of plywood? If you do, how will they be
attached to each other?

If I am going to use core material, I will use 4-to-5 layers of fiberglass on top, and
1-to-2 layers on the bottom. Is this number of fiberglass also
applicable in using marine plywood as core?

** That seems like a lot of layers for a 3/4 inch thick 'deck'. You
should be using some bracing strips, maybe glassed in, for stiffness
of the deck... I think..

How do we deal with the edge of the plywood when we are laying
fiberglass? Should we wrap the fiberglass around the edge from the
top to the bottom? Or should we not wrap the edge and simply treat the
edge with thickened epoxy?

** I would round over the edges about a 1/4" radius and wrap the glass
top to bottom. Wet the end grain a couple of times with epoxy, let it
harden, and sand before any glass. You want zero voids in the end
grain or water will getcha again...

Did anyone try this before? How did it go? Any tip?

** If this is the "floor" AKA "part you walk around on" in an open
center console boat, yes, I've used unglassed 5/8" Plywood and glassed
1/2" plywood, with a maximum unsupported span of about 2 feet.
Similar construction for the roof of my Cuddy Cabin boat, and it's
"Front Deck". 2 Layers of glass/epoxy. Good bracing. Very solid
feeling...

Thanks in advance for any info.

** I think I would consider making the "deck" removeable for sure.
But I think I'd make it in two or more sections, not one piece. If the
joining lines are on a nice solid frame piece, it will be strong, with
lots of stainless screws..

Aside: I did not make the floor inside my cabin removeable,
originally. I recently cut it out with a sabre saw, and made a new
removeable section, after I had some rot in the original just-painted
1/2" plywood. After 26 years...

Hope some others will add their opinions. I have a few unorthodox
materials opinions and rot-prevention opinions, but I won't cloud
things yet...

Jay Chan

Regards, Terry King ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage