posted to alt.sailing.asa
[email protected] FJ_2102@yahoo.com is offline

Default Yacht Racing

Saying that a spec of stated displacement was an indicator that the
boat in question is a "displacement hull."

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote:
Duh! And what's wrong with saying that.

2 things.

It is incorrect.
It shows ignorance of sailing terminology.

Every hull that floats displaces enough
water to float it. It would sink if it didn't.

Depends on how you define "floats." Is a boat not "floating" when it's
planing? It is not sinking, and it is not displacing water.

If somebody says no it's not a displacement hull! It's a planing hull. That's wrong.

Only if you are ignorant of commonly accepted nautical terms.

It's a displacement hull that's going so fast it's planing.

Here's a good way to tell if it's the Crapton.... OK "Ellen" let's
play your game, please define the terms "planing" and "hull speed."

Both of them never stop being a displacement
hull.

A hull that is delibarately designed to benefit by planing is not a
"displacement hull" in correct terminology. That's why there are
different words.

Now you tell me what's wrong with me saying if a displacement is listed it's a
displacement hull?

Because intelligent sailors want to know the mass of the boat & it's
potential load of stores. That figure is traditionally listed as
"displacement" just as the width of the hull is traditionally termed
the "beam."

-signed- Injun Ear (formerly known as Eagle Eye)