posted to alt.sailing.asa
Walt Walt is offline

Default Stay tension

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:38:14 -0500, Walt wrote:
Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 12:19:22 -0500, Walt wrote:

Rig tension looks about right to me - very loose when the boat is not
actually under way. Why leave the rig under tension any longer than you
need to?

Because flex=fatigue. A rig left loose wears out faster as it flops around.

Um. No.

Sorry.

Um. Yes.

Perhaps you should ask Brion Toss.

Be my guest. Phrase the question like this:

"I've got a 505 that I dry sail from a launch dolly. Should I loosen
the rig when I bring her ashore?"

Here's the answer:

Absolutely. With a dry sailed dinghy, you always slacken the rig once
ashore. It takes the tension off the hull, which will fatigue if kept
under load. On many dinghys you even sail with the rig loose.

Now, a keelboat that stays in the water all the time is a different
story. But that's not what's in the picture.

//Walt