posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default messing with boats - 2 ASA points

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
Capt. JG wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
Capt. JG wrote:
Define scapping and sistering with respect to boats. 1 point each

Scapping is fishing for soft shell crabs with a simple long pole net.

Sistering is reinforcing a weak part by attaching a stronger one
alongside. On a boat its sometimes used to describe a new frame
placed alongside a cracked frame.

1 pt. See Joe's post. :-)

Actually "scabbing" is sometimes used for scapping, so my answer holds.

However, since you mention scabs with sistering, I'm guessing you mean
the little sister plates you might use to form a "t" or to join timbers.
You see them on house trusses. On a boat they might be used to join a
two part frame.

So how many points do you lose for getting the term wrong?

I was thinking of when you join two pieces of wood on the same plane...
flush, not a T.

So, I'll take -0.5 points from myself, and remove your 1pt. :-)

I was talking about flush joints, where the scabs are small sisters on the
sides of the joints. The "T" that I mention has the timbers all on the
same plane, with through bolts through scabs to hold it together. I
mentioned this because its where I first learned of scabbing, when
building roof trusses. Nowadays, with metal truss plates, I think scab
usually refer to repairs.

Ok. I'll give you back 0.5 points.... just because I'm a nice guy. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com