posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] terry@terryking.us is offline

Default Info on Chinese Boats (Hong Kong area)? I'll be moving there.

Jay, Dan, Steve, others... Thanks for the comments and new
information!

I'm sure you're right that there's nothing magical about building
boats in China. But you probably know about the "Gotta Do Something
With Boats! syndrome!

I'm kicking myself blue for spending almost 3 years (by next May)
right on the Mediterranean near the 2000 year old ports built by the
Carthaginians and Romans and NOT getting a boat out there!

I AM getting SOME boat on the water when I move to Shekou/Shenzhen
near Hong Kong next August!

If I was going to live there 'permanently' (Whatever THAT is in the
year 2007 !) I would build a boat from scratch, using 'modern'
materials and an engine conversion. But that would take 1 to 1.5
years, depending on (Stuff).. The last boat I built (21' Cuddy Cabin,
350 GM, VeeDrive) is still running after 28 years, so I understand
about maintaining a boat. But this time, maybe I'm going in a TOTALLY
different direction.

- Really rough-built larger (30 to 50 feet) fishing boat, all wood,
indigenous materials and construction, probably going to deteriorate
badly in 5 to 10 years. Add a decent different cabin setup.
- Re-Engine in a less-than-ideal homebrew fashion.
- Add my favorite homebrew electronics (Low-end Garmin, Laptop or
MicroATX, OziExplorer, LCD display). I already have a detailed
Satellite view of Shenzhen / Deep Bay calibrated.
- Fill the picnic cooler. Run it.
- 3 Years or so later, move back to Vermont, fix my old boat in my new
Barn, maybe build a new one I have been designing for a while..

Ok, maybe that's a LITTLE simplistic. But you know what? There are
5000 boats running in that area, and I don't see any that look like
what I see in the USA. I think there only two ways to go: One is try
to afford a Westernized type boat, maybe rebuild a wreck or something,
and the other is to go all the way to the local rough boats. I don't
see anything workable in between. And I AM working on boats and
getting on the water.

So, what's stupid about this??