Dennis Pogson Dennis Pogson is offline

Default pros of ferrocement as liveaboard?

Rosalie B. wrote:
"imagineero" wrote:

Hi all,
not wanting to start a holy war or anything, and not really too
interested in hearing the cons of ferrocement boats - im sure we've
all heard plenty of that already ;-)

Ive heard a couple of people say that ferrocement boats have some
merit as a liveaboard, but i havent been able to work out what it
is.... od they have a steady motion on the water? Are they quieter
than other boats?

Id really be interested in getting feedback from anyone who has lived
aboard a ferrocement boat and has something good to say about it....
these boats come up for sale every now and then in aus, and usually
cheap! While every indicidual boat has its plusses and minuses, it
would be nice to know a few general things about them~

I know a man who built one and lives on it. He hasn't finished
putting the rigging on it yet, so it is a sailboat that just motors.

I would say that the advantage is that you can build your own pretty
cheaply and to your own specs.

The disadvantages of course are that if you buy one that someone else
has built, it is somewhat the same as buying any home built item (not
just boats but anything) where you can't see whether it was
constructed properly.

I am sure a good surveyor could help.