posted to rec.boats.building
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Info on Chinese Boats (Hong Kong area)? I'll be moving there.

I spent a number of years in the orient and while there, investigated many
boat builders from Thailand to Korea. Although my experience today is dated,
I believe the following observation is just as valid today as it was then.

The advantage in asia is only labor with some price differences in wood, but
nowhere as much as you would think. Please remember that the cost of the
hull is, at the very most, representative of about 25% of the total cost of
the boat. The majority of the boat cost is the fit out and the associated
machinery. Very little is made there and must be imported from Europe and
Australia. In addition, the biggest issue is the quality of the work
performed and the materials used. Futhermore, it is almost impossible to
find properly seasoned timber, unless you do it yourself. In my mind, it
makes no sense to buy a boat that you cannot afford to maintain because the
boat is falling apart while you watch. There is no such thing as a free
lunch. If building there was so much of an advantage, you would see a lot
more asian boats than you do.
Steve

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello Everyone,

I've built a couple of inboard power boats over the years, but my last
running one is in the Lake Champlain area of Vermont, and starting
this August I will be living in Shekou, near Shenzhen and Hong Kong,
in China. I would like to communicate with anyone in this part of
China (South China sea)..

I am finishing up 3 years living on the Mediterranean, and kicking
myself mightily for not getting SOME kind of boat on the water!

Looking on Google Earth, I see a thousand or more fishing boats and
utility boats that I estimate are from 20 to 40 feet. I'm NOT talking
about those guys over at the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club :-)

I need to start to learn about the existing boats in this area of
China. I am getting a few hits and photos but not much detail yet.

I have heard that some of the best high-end yachts have been built in
Hong Kong, and that there is a long tradition of seaworthy boats built
in China, from large 'Junks' to many smaller kinds.

I would appreciate any pointers or suggestions about information on
the typical boats today in China, and any contacts you might suggest.

Regards, Terry King ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage