posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Whatcott Brian Whatcott is offline

Default Shaft Log / Cutlass Bearing - tight fit...?

On 22 Jan 2007 08:22:08 -0800, wrote:

I had the vendor call Buck Algonquin, They replied that the bore on
the log shoud measure .001 smaller than the bearing, i.e. 1.499".
Since mine measures 1.488, they decided to send me a replacement.

Yipee!

Thanks for all your replies.

MW

I earlier wrote this:
Brass and bronze alloys typically show thermal linear
expansivities of 16 to 19 ppm per degC
To expand by 0.8% would need a temp rise of more
than 525 degC This is not the usual range for
shrinking in place.
I expect the Buck bearing housing should have been
machined to fit e.g a 1 X 1.5 inch bearing.

Now, to expand the diameter 3 thou over 1.5 inch
(for a little chilling allowance) - that's an expansion of
0.004/1.49 = 2685 parts per million.

So you would heat bronze by
2685/16 = 168 degrees.C (at most)

Or if you can pull it off with just one thou of slop,
boiling water would do it

Now THAT's more like it!

Brian Whatcott Altus OK