posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop Maxprop is offline

Default Stay tension

"Walt" wrote in message
katy wrote:
Joe wrote:

A new way for yankees to test the rigging set maybe....

Is the forward stay to loose?
Or is it that the back stays are to loose?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/171500..._geneva_ap.jpg

Rig tension looks about right to me - very loose when the boat is not
actually under way. Why leave the rig under tension any longer than you
need to?

A few dinghies sail with a moderately slack rig. Snipes brought it to an
art form back in the Seventies. When sailing to weather on starboard tack,
the port shroud would have nearly a foot of freeplay. And we'd tighten our
jib luff wires to the point that about 75% of the tension was on the luff
wire and only about 25% on the stay.

BTW, it looks like a 505, which doesn't have a backstay, let alone two. Is
there any boat that has back *stays*, i.e. more than one?

Some big boats have runners, and I believe there was a Hunter or something
that had twin backstays, for whatever reason I haven't the slightest.

Max