posted to rec.boats.electronics
Al Thomason Al Thomason is offline

Default WiFi again.

Um... I think something is missing here....

The OP has a combination Router / Access point (WRT54GS). Good box,
but it is designed to broadcast a wire based Internet connection INTO
WiFi. And I think the OP is trying to use it to access an existing
remote WiFi...

If this is true, the short answer is: You got the wrong box. You
need something that will act as a 'WiFi receiver' or Wireless Client
(WET54G, or the Dlink DWL2100Ap running in Client Mode).

Put your antenna on one of these and it will 'receive' the remote WiFi
and present it on an Ethernet cable. You can then plug this into the
Ethernet port on your laptop and get longer range then using the built
in WiFi card.

Once you have established connection to a remote WiFi, it is possible
to plug this into the WAN port on your WRT54GS and then have in effect
a WiFi 'repeater' on your boat. You can then have your laptop just
connect over YOUR WiFi network you have set up using the WRT54GS.

I have used this setup a few times on Viking Star, but once it is all
set up and attached to a remote WiFi, I have not found a way to get
back into the Wireless Client (I am using a DWL2100AP) without
disconnecting the Ethernet cable from the WRT54GS and plugging it back
into the Laptop. One needs to do this in order to be able to select
which remote WiFi network to have the Wireless Client connect to.
However, once it is configured and working, it is really nice to have
a reliable WiFi based network on your own boat :-)

I hope this helps.

-al-

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 21:36:55 +0000, capt.bill11
wrote:

OK, got the external WiFi antenna. Now I want to hook it into the
Linksys wireless box we have on the boat now.

So what goes between the antenna and the Linksys box?