posted to rec.boats.building
b393capt b393capt is offline

Default Info on Chinese Boats (Hong Kong area)? I'll be moving there.

My experience, traveling to China, Hong Kong, and/or Korea each summer
for the last 12 years, is that recreational boats are a very rare site.
Most years I don't see any. I was fortunate this past Summer to be
just a few miles away from the venue for the Beijing Summer Olympics,
and was delighted to be at a hotel that had numerous sailboats
available for rental at the beach across the way, but this is a big
exception. (and I was impressed the locals are very skilled at getting
them moving amazingly fast in the prevailing light air)

In regards to Hong Kong, the extreme traffic (fishing boats), cramped
marina's (boats rafted 20 deep), and polution in the waters around Hong
Kong would seem to discourage recreational boats except for the
extremely determined, especially sailboats sans auxillarys (unless you
enjoy tacking 30 times per hour).

Not familiar with that Yacht club you mentioned, maybe you should
really check it out first rather than later.

Dan