posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default HF Freq question for Larry

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 16:00:38 -0500, Larry wrote:

....snip

FWIW... The ARRL tries to represent it's members and that usually means
the ones who make the most noise. That, in turn, usually means those who
are against change. I don't think the ARRL are intrinsically bad.

I never said code should be eliminated from ham radio. Those that love
code should be allowed to live in the 30's and use it. However, as code
has always been used as a phone band jamming device since the first AM
station started transmitting, I have always promoted the idea it be
CONFINED to the code-only part of the bands.

I don't agree. Some folks like code - what's wrong with that? Some folks
use code because code transmitters are by far the least expensive to build
and they aren't terribly rich.

Code has no place in the phone bands, except as a jamming device
of some jealous *******s.

Well, I'd agree with that, but I'm not on the air much, so I wasn't aware
that was going on.

I just hope it's not too late to save ham radio from its death of old age
and ARRL's reticence. Go to any hamfest and guess the average age of the
total attendees. My guess is now in the low 60's, where I am. Few kids
are interested. They have full duplex video conferencing in their
bedrooms on serious broadband with the whole world at their keyboard.
What the hell do they need some ancient form of communications for,
populated by an bunch of really nasty old *******s that bitch at them
using "their frequencies" just because they've had some totally
unnecessary traffic net on it for the last 60 years. Saving ham radio
may depend of waiting for death to free up HF for a newer generation.
Unfortunately, the newer generation could care less, having moved on to
better technology.

Unfortunately, there's a lot to agree with there. The expense connected
with the hobby has risen quite a bit as well. If it isn't something one
likes as a sport or hobby, it is a lot cheaper to get involved with
computers. FWIW, I'm 66 and licensed since I was 14 - I hope I'm not a
"nasty old *******"...
--

Larry W1HJF
email is rapp at lmr dot com