posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default HF Freq question for Larry

krj wrote in news:TM9uh.3963$p%6.3322
@bignews7.bellsouth.net:

You can't always tell if someone has an extra ticket by their call. I
keep w4ind because we are usually operating from the sailboat. I liked
WIND and as soon as they start processing vanity calls again my wife
will apply for W4AVE, WAVE.
de W4IND Extra Class

I hated the damned call FCC gave me with my Advanced ticket, KN4IM. I
swore to NEVER have another call with N and M in it, ever again, having
to repeat it over and over phonetically so the idiot on the other end,
who just HAD to have it right, could get it. So, I looked in QRZ for
possible vanity calls to replace it.

N4SEX was very tempting and open at that time...Not 4 Sex...great fun.

But, to my amazement, Charleston, South Carolina's namesake call had been
open for almost 4 years after the original owner died in the Shenandoah
Valley. That was my first choice, even though it was not an "Extra
Call" they all cherish. I wanted an original, well as original as FCC
will let us have, 1x3 call. So I got W4CharlestonSouthCarolina, W4CSC.
If I say it like that, they even get my location right...(c;

I've gotten permission from WCSC, our CBS affiliate, to take a picture of
their new broadcast TV building with the HUGE broadbased Doppler 5000
radar tower behind it for a picture QSL card. A little paintbrushed 4
over the WCSC door logo looks just great on my hamfest golf shirts. The
4 is in red and looks like someone painted it by hand...(c; I never
followed through on the QSL production as I rarely use them, any more,
and the ones I do send out seem to be more appreciated with Magnolia
Gardens Plantation cards from the tourist trap across the Ashley River
from me.
http://www.magnoliaplantation.com/
Watch the movie. These are my neighbors....(c; They even have a little
dock setup for the tour boats which refuse to come this far up the river
just to feed them. There's a webcam on the bridge, if it's working.

Larry
--
Democracy is when two wolves and a sheep vote on who's for dinner.
Liberty is when the sheep has his own gun.