posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Salvaging or scavenging?

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

Let's review what Jolly said....ready.....ok... "When is it salvage and
when is it stealing?" and " thanks".

I think you got lazy when you started to think.

Trying thinking some more. You're the one who decided to put both your feet
in your mouth when you defined the clear lines by using the Lloyds contract
form. That form is not appropriate for the vast majority of small craft
issues.

I think anyone who pulls salvage on another mariner on his personal
yacht in peril is a scumball, unless thats his profession or the boat
was abandoned and it's not needed anyway.

That's a gross over-generalization. Don't you think someone should be
compensated for taking time and risk, and expending effort?

Sure they should Jon, but it should not be expected or required.
Mariners are suppose to help each other out...thats the law of the sea
IMO. You do for another at sea what you would like them to do for you.
If your any kind of a man, you make sure the person who helped you gets
compensated for his efforts.

If you agree, then you just contradicted yourself! We all know that we're
required to help fellow boaters, but there are limits to the requirement,
and if one decides that one needs to be compensated for extenuating
circumstances, a good contract is a good idea. Some people are not
fair-minded and a contract is good way of making sure they act
appropriately. Just because you have a contract doesn't mean you're limited
to what you'll insist on collecting.

You're getting thick as a brick lately Jonboy. Most small boat owners
in the USA are not professional mariners, you are a classic example. In
my words,I will post again.....ready....ok..."unless thats his
profession or the boat was abandoned and it's not needed anyway".

In other words, your Lloyds contract isn't worth it and best not used. If
one has to use a contract to feel more secure, one based and enforced by US
jurisdiction would be more appropriate; thus, the one I mentioned from
BoatUS.

In other words Jon IMO it's ok for a person to set up a biz rescuing
weekend warriors, and he may need a tool to make sure he gets paid, and
if the boat is abandoned than I have no pity for the person who
abandoned the vessel.

Sorry, but this has to be in at least pigeon English before I can understand
it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com