posted to rec.boats.building
cavelamb himself cavelamb himself is offline

Default 130 gal. water tank problem

Joe Bleau wrote:
My 1977 Morgan OI has an approximately 130 gal. aluminum tank built
behind a bulkhead on the port side passageway from the main saloon to
the aft cabin.

When I could not get pressure I assumed the tank had a leak and tore
out the bulkhead exposing the outside of the tank (the other side of
the tank is curved and is seated in sprayed foam against the hull).
Outwardly the tank appears like new but I realize that it could be
completely rotted within.

Problem is I find no dampness anywhere around the tank and am now
beginning to suspect that the tank is sound.

Does anyone in this group know of a way of testing the tank, i.e.,
using compressed air to pressurize the tank and leaving a gauge on it
for 24 hours or so to determine if there really is a leak.

Any ideas on testing this tank without removing it would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Seal up all the outlets except one.

Place a rubber ballon on that one and pressurize GENTLY until the
balloon inflates.

Leave it alone for a few days and observe the baloon.

Be advised that atmospheric pressure changes will show as a change
in the size of the balloon, so a barometer nearby would be helpful.

But even without that, the balloon should not likely deflate totally -
unless there is an air leak.

Will that help?

Richard
Spirit