posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Salvaging or scavenging?

Joe wrote:

On Jan 24, 7:06 am, Jeff wrote:
Wouldn't you have a problem if you sailed away from a
situation where there was loss of life?

Good question Jeff, I wondered the same. As a salvor on location it
would seem you would have to stay while there is any risk to life.
However if the boat vessel refuses help and you feel you are in risk by
staying, then I.m sure you have the right and duty to save your vessel
and crew.

The problem with a Lloyd's contract is that the arbitration must be
done in London under British laws, at the likely expense of the boat
owner. Any small boat salvor who requires it in the US is not to be
trusted.

I'm sure there are 100's of lawers that work for non-english companies
all the time. I also imagine Lloyds is fair, faster, and deals with
99.9 percent of the worlds salvor atributions.

It doesn't work very well for small claims; that's why Boat/US doesn't
like it.

The difference of our opinion's probly arise because we are thinking
on different levels.

I'm thinking on the level of a small yacht owner, like almost everyone
here.