AMPowers AMPowers is offline

Default Book, Plans, Design, needed ... just bought a sewing machine

I came across a great book called "On Rope" about various rope handling
techniques for mountaineering or spelunking. I recommend this book for
anyone who is a sailor as well, as it has some very excellent technical
descriptions about rope handling, but also a very detailed description
of what stitching techniques works the best and why. I think you might
find it useful when making your projects.

I've read the "Sailmaker's Apprentice" and thought it was good
information, but obviously more geared towards sails. I also read "The
Complete Canvas Guide" by D. Grant and thought it had some good
information but I thought it lacked enough detail for someone who might
be new to the task.

I have several industrial sewing machines, now, including a "SailRite"
walking foot that includes a hand crank. I think you'll find that a
walking foot is almost a necessity when building complex pieces, as both
top and bottom feet move simultaneously, keeping the fabric layers in
place. This avoid having to "tack" or pin the material as much, if at all.

I would also recommend that you start small, get used to how your
machine behaves, and make simple projects first. Save the cockpit cover
for when you've made all of the beginner mistakes already. Also, when
you do attempt it, I suggest you make the first revision out of cheap
denim or muslin. You will definitely make mistakes on the first couple
of projects, so leaving the harder stuff for last is probably best.

Also, pay attention to what type of thread you use. As an upholsterer
what they use. You want something that will not deteriorate in
sunlight. Experiment with your machine to make sure it can feed
properly through it though. My experience has been that only the most
industrial of machines and handle the heavier threads without jamming.

Happy sewing!

Robb

NE Sailboat wrote:
I bought an old metal sewing machine. D Casey, the guru, recommends this in
most of his sailboat maintenance books.

Casey has a few ideas about projects to start with; cockpit cover, etc.
But no exact plans.

Are there any books that have plans, designs, good project instructions for
sailboat canvass projects?