posted to alt.internet.wireless,rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney Bill Kearney is offline

Default Has Anyone Actually Have Working Wifi On Their Boat?

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
"Bill Kearney" wkearney-99@hot-mail-com hath wroth:

Depending on where you're planning on travelling and how you're anchoring
there would be different recommedations. I've had a 10db omnidirectional
stick on my radar arch and it's done a pretty good job of pulling in wifi
signals.

OK, so you went with the omni. Photos of what I originally suggested.
Might be useful:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/marine-omni/index.html

Yes, that's more or less just the sort of setup I went with. I went with
using a PVC extension to raise it above the radome. I went with using a PVC
end cap that I drilled through to mount the N connector. Then I've got a
thin gauge lead running down to the WRT54G mounted just underneath the
mount, tucked inside the arch. From there I run 12v power and wired
ethernet down into the cabin. Wired ethernet into a switch and power to the
ship's systems via a fuse. Worked quite well. Using it was simple, fire up
the laptop and surf to the router in the arch to select a shore SSID. There
were only a rare few situations where it wasn't possible to pickup a
reasonably strong signal. For this upcoming season I'm considering making
use of a PCMCIA modem bridged to a cellular network.