Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default 30 HP Yanmar: Repower v. Rebuild?

In article .com,
"Bob" wrote:

We repowered when we got Xan. Am not likely to do that again. The costs
are about double the engine's,

So if a new engine retail price is $8,000 your saying when it is all
over total cost is $16,000?

May I ask about your specfics?
Cost of engine?
Total cost after everthing?

In our case, $6k vs a bit over $12k, but that was 14 years ago.

How many hours did the yard do?
How many DIY hours?

All yard, as I didn't want to take 2 years to do it and knew I knew too
little. Truth be told, I take home more than their labor charge, and I
wanted to *sail*.

As I recall, about 1/2 or 1/3 of the extra was fittings, not labor.
Virtually everything needed replacing from battery cables and tank to
the bed, shaft and prop. A PO had gotten the new tank put in, so that
was one non-cost to us. New hoses, Racor, bigger through-hull and
cooling water filter, shift from 3/4" shaft to 1", larger exhaust &
water muffler, lots and lots of incidentals. Included the 50-hour
re-adjustments.

Did you have a problem fitting new onto the foot print of the old?

The old one had to go completely --tougher than expected-- and a new one
fabricated and glassed in. Work of art, BTW.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's NEW Pages: http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/