posted to rec.boats.building
k4556 k4556 is offline

Default Info on Chinese Boats (Hong Kong area)? I'll be moving there.

Terry,

I have lived in Asia for the past thirty years and while certainly
both work boats and yachts were built in Hong Kong in the past those
days are long gone. But boats are being built on the Chinese mainland
a short distance from Hong Kong. Try Googling for "Seahorse". you
should come up with a builder for trawler yachts who is located a
short distance up the river from Hong Kong. I have heard that the
owner (an American) is a nice chap and you could probably get more
information from him if you e-mailed him.

By the way, don't disparage the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club. It isn't
as up-market as it sounds and a visit would probably get you a lot of
worthwhile information.

I haven't priced any Hong Kong based boats recently but I'd guess that
the purchase cost wold be lower then the US and there are many vendors
of boat parts in Hong Kong.

Cheers

On 22 Jan 2007 16:18:56 -0800, "
wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I've built a couple of inboard power boats over the years, but my last
running one is in the Lake Champlain area of Vermont, and starting
this August I will be living in Shekou, near Shenzhen and Hong Kong,
in China. I would like to communicate with anyone in this part of
China (South China sea)..

I am finishing up 3 years living on the Mediterranean, and kicking
myself mightily for not getting SOME kind of boat on the water!

Looking on Google Earth, I see a thousand or more fishing boats and
utility boats that I estimate are from 20 to 40 feet. I'm NOT talking
about those guys over at the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club :-)

I need to start to learn about the existing boats in this area of
China. I am getting a few hits and photos but not much detail yet.

I have heard that some of the best high-end yachts have been built in
Hong Kong, and that there is a long tradition of seaworthy boats built
in China, from large 'Junks' to many smaller kinds.

I would appreciate any pointers or suggestions about information on
the typical boats today in China, and any contacts you might suggest.

Regards, Terry King ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage

Ibid
(k4556ATinetDOTcoDOTth)