posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] terry@terryking.us is offline

Default Info on Chinese Boats (Hong Kong area)? I'll be moving there.

Hello Everyone,

I've built a couple of inboard power boats over the years, but my last
running one is in the Lake Champlain area of Vermont, and starting
this August I will be living in Shekou, near Shenzhen and Hong Kong,
in China. I would like to communicate with anyone in this part of
China (South China sea)..

I am finishing up 3 years living on the Mediterranean, and kicking
myself mightily for not getting SOME kind of boat on the water!

Looking on Google Earth, I see a thousand or more fishing boats and
utility boats that I estimate are from 20 to 40 feet. I'm NOT talking
about those guys over at the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club :-)

I need to start to learn about the existing boats in this area of
China. I am getting a few hits and photos but not much detail yet.

I have heard that some of the best high-end yachts have been built in
Hong Kong, and that there is a long tradition of seaworthy boats built
in China, from large 'Junks' to many smaller kinds.

I would appreciate any pointers or suggestions about information on
the typical boats today in China, and any contacts you might suggest.

Regards, Terry King ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage