KLC Lewis KLC Lewis is offline

Default Book, Plans, Design, needed ... just bought a sewing machine

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
I bought an old metal sewing machine. D Casey, the guru, recommends this
in most of his sailboat maintenance books.

Casey has a few ideas about projects to start with; cockpit cover, etc.
But no exact plans.

Are there any books that have plans, designs, good project instructions
for sailboat canvass projects?

Plans to fit your boat are unlikely. Wanna know how the pros do it? They
(many of them, can't speak for all) bring a roll of Sunbrella to your boat.
After installing snaps and fittings on your boat, they unroll the Sunbrella
over the area to be covered, drawing on it where necessary with chalk. They
poke holes where snaps and fittings will go, and cut slits where they need
them. With all the pieces cut out and labeled, they take it all back to the
shop and sew it up. When they come back, it actually fits.

I wouldn't recommend that we unwashed masses attempt to mimic them with
Sunbrella, but if you follow the same procedure with cheap lightweight
muslin, you can make your own patterns, then transfer to Sunbrella. Follow
Don Casey's information on seam allowances and what-not. Bob's your uncle!

For bags and stuff, I'll draw paper patterns to size, or just sketch out
what I want and then wing it.

Karin