posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] sjmarine@xtra.co.nz is offline

Default Shaft Log / Cutlass Bearing - tight fit...?

wrote:
My new Buck Algonquin bronze shaft log is advertised as being bored to
accept a 1.5" cutlass bearing. My new Duramax cutlass bearing is
advertised as having an outside diameter od 1.5" (to accommodate a 1"
prop shaft).

I tried to slide the Bearing into the Log - no way.

I got out the calipers; the O.D. of the bearing is indeed 1.50", but
the I.D. of the Log is just 1.4875"

Is it expected that one must heat / cool these pieces in order to get
them to fit? Or, did Buck Algonquin use the wrong "drill bit"?

If heating / cooling is expected, is it a hair dryer or a blow torch...

Many Thanks.

MW