Wayne.B

Default Props - RPM's and Cruising Speed

On Fri, 28 May 2004 16:47:39 GMT, WaIIy
wrote:

I disagree, the boat weighs about 9500 lbs dry and that is plenty of
power.

Depends on your point of view. My 24 ft I/O cuddy with the same
enfine weighs about 5,000 lbs with fuel, gear, etc. At 3,400 RPM it
cruises at 24 to 25 kts which I regard as adequate, but just barely.
I'd really like to be running at 30 kts in flat water.

The fact that the boat in question can plane off and run and 20 kts at
a reasonable RPM means that he has enough power, but barely enough in
my opinion. Most 10,000 lb boats will either be running a single 454
or a pair of 350s, giving them a cruising speed of 25 to 27 kts.