Don W Don W is offline

Default 30 HP Yanmar: Repower v. Rebuild?

Bob wrote:

The problem was the $6000 he quoted for the rebuild.
Thats a lot of money for a 30 yo motor.

Reluctant Bob

Geez, Tbat $6K should just about pay for a new
3YM30, and I'd bet the footprint is nearly
identical. You wouldn't have to rebuild the
stringers, but you might have to have custom
"vibration" mounts built to hit the bolt holes.

I'm in a similar situation except that I've got a
1983 3HM Yanmar sitting in the Irwin. It was
supposedly "overhauled" just before I bought the
boat, but overhauled can mean a lot of different
things depending on who is saying it. Right now,
it starts and runs great, so I'm going to let it
keep running, but I've already marked it down in
my mind as suspect for long voyages.

Have you gotten quotes on a new 3YM30? I'd also
think about going to fresh water cooling if I were
you.

Don W.