Jeff Rigby

Default Shift cable and kill switch adjusting an explanation (alpha 1)

Now to my problem that I have asked about before. The boat rarely will go
into reverse. I looked in my monster Alpha One manual and found the

section
on the shift cable and kill switch.

I put the throttle all the way forward and itmakes the kill switch

activate
and then goes to the middle of it so that it is not killed.

When I put the throttle all the way into the reverse it stays in the

killed
position.

The manual says to adjust the cable, etc, so I do this. Now when I put it
in reverse it goes into reverse but when I put it in forward it stays
killed! Crapo.

The kill switch should only be activated when going from ingear to neutral.
AND then only if it needs to. The dog gear, when engaged, can only be
disengaged when the engine speed is LOWER than the prop speed. If you are
going forward at speed and pull the throttle lever into neutral the engine
speed is lower than the prop speed (the prop windmills) and the drive will
shift into neutral without the kill switch being engaged. If you are
idleing in gear for instance forward, and pull the lever to neutral the dog
gear will not disengage and the shift cable ( in the drive) will be held in
the forward position even though at the engine the shift cable from the hand
control is in neutral. The Kill switch is activated by this difference and
the engine speed will drop allowing the gear to shift in the drive and the
kill switch is deactivated.

In your case the shift cable is OLD and STIFF. Causing the kill switch to
activate when it shouldn't. A stiff shift cable can also cause excessive
wear to the dog gear in that shifting is slower causing loud clunks when
shifting instead of a loud click (faster shift into gear).

My problem with the shift cable was that when cold my engine would stall
when going into reverse. After warm up shifting was not a problem other
than I thought the clunk was a little lound when shifting. Eventually the
engine would die everytime I shifted into reverse when the wheel was turned
hard to the left.

I replaced the shift cable and all problems went away and shifting changed
from a clunk to a click.

..