Jeff Jeff is offline

Default 30 HP Yanmar: Repower v. Rebuild?

Bob wrote:
Yes, that was my thought too. But there are some folks that say
"upgrade" to more modern model. ANd then mention part availibility
problems on 30 year old models. But when I went to my local tractor
dealer they didnt blink an eye when I asked for a rebuild quote on a
marine qm yanmar. The problem was the $6000 he quoted for the rebuild.
Thats a lot of money for a 30 yo motor.

That sounds like a lot - I have a friend that replaced a tired 3GM
with a new 3YM and he claimed it was well under $5K. The footprint
was almost identical, I think there were a few changes for the
plumbing, but the job was done in a day. He didn't need a
transmission, and there was 100% access so YMMV. You should shop
around a bit before listening to one quote.

But when I think of trying to modify an existing space for a diffrent
engine I start having flashbacks of a cutting torch and endless detail
modifications. I really like the idea of an exact foot print...... easy
out easy in. But????