Noname Noname is offline

Default 30 HP Yanmar: Repower v. Rebuild?

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
My thought .. the engine fits the stringers, and therefore it would be

easy
to take out and put back in.

So,, why not just get the engine rebuilt.

Can't you take it out, bring it to a rebuild place, get it all done over
with new this and new that .. then bring it back and put right back where

it
came from?

I have the 2QM15 and it still runs and starts well. But, if it failed I
would have the same decision to make.

I think that I would seriously think about installing a new fresh water
cooled engine with heat exchanger. My concern after 27 years would be with
corrosion of the block, and it is difficult to determine this. Maybe there
is a way once the engine has been torn down?

I think that if I was younger (your age), I might consider doing the rebuild
myself, but maybe not. These engines do have cylinder so no need for
reboring or oversize pistons etc.sleeves.

I would think that I would pay $10k for a new engine if a rebuild cost $6k.
But, if the rebuild could be done for say $3k, I would go that way. As a
comparison, I had a complete rebuild done on a used block on my old diesel
car - a 5 cyl MB 300D. It cost me C$7k which at the time was about US$5k and
this included removing the old engine and also installing a rebuilt turbo.
$6k for a 2 or 3 cyl Yanmar rebuild sounds like a lot!