Bob Bob is offline

Default 30 HP Yanmar: Repower v. Rebuild?

NE Sailboat wrote:
My thought .. the engine fits the stringers, and therefore it would be easy
to take out and put back in.

So,, why not just get the engine rebuilt.

Can't you take it out, bring it to a rebuild place, get it all done over
with new this and new that .. then bring it back and put right back where it
came from?

Yes, that was my thought too. But there are some folks that say
"upgrade" to more modern model. ANd then mention part availibility
problems on 30 year old models. But when I went to my local tractor
dealer they didnt blink an eye when I asked for a rebuild quote on a
marine qm yanmar. The problem was the $6000 he quoted for the rebuild.
Thats a lot of money for a 30 yo motor.

But when I think of trying to modify an existing space for a diffrent
engine I start having flashbacks of a cutting torch and endless detail
modifications. I really like the idea of an exact foot print...... easy
out easy in. But????

Reluctant Bob