NE Sailboat NE Sailboat is offline

Default 30 HP Yanmar: Repower v. Rebuild?

My thought .. the engine fits the stringers, and therefore it would be easy
to take out and put back in.

So,, why not just get the engine rebuilt.

Can't you take it out, bring it to a rebuild place, get it all done over
with new this and new that .. then bring it back and put right back where it
came from?

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...
Let the debate begin........

Repower for the 21st century
Or
Rebuild a 1979 Yanmar 3QM30H (raw water cooled)?

Lets assume the engine is DOA and must be either replaced or rebuilt.
My first experience with replacing an engine was attempting to shovel a
huge Cadillac engine into a Nova. Boys will be boys. Lesson learned:
Lots of adjusting and cutting. But hopefully those who have actually
repowered a 34'-41' keel boat learned a few lessons from their
choice.

This is not a troll. I seek your advice with the greatest sincerity. So
be brutal or humble or descriptive adn I'll gleen what I can.

After reading my latest issue of Boats & Harbors I wish I had a 6-71.
Either way it would be cheaper than my little 27 hp Yanmar. Go figure.

Cordially,
Bob