posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Conlin Jim Conlin is offline

Default low ratio self tailing winches?

I had the blue 'Winchers' on the genoa winches of a 35' sloop for 15 years.
They're easier to wrap and unwrap than a self-tailer, but it takes practice
to know when they might slip. For an application where you'll only want to
pull a couple of feet under load, they're a cheap solution. As they don't
strip themselves, they're of marginal usefulness for mainsheets or halyards.

"CAH" wrote in message
oups.com...
The blue wincher rings as far as I know not worth the try.

www.winches.dk

Garland Gray II wrote:
Andersen makes a 9.5:1.
Less than that and you are probably talking an ungeared winch.
Perhaps you could use a "Wincher", the blue rubber ring.

"Shaun Van Poecke" wrote in message
has anyone heard of low ratio (say, 6:1) self tailing winches? I

really
dont need a high powered wicnh for my boat, but it sure would be nice

have a couple of self tailers as well as a couple of standards to make
life a bit easier as i mostly sail solo. The offerings ive seen from

the
big companies only have self tailers in 16:1 and better and start at
around AU$600

Thanks,
Shaun