posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
dene dene is offline

Default Soundproofing/Waterproofing a Honda Genny

Larry wrote:
"dene" wrote in news:1169276883.977097.126110
@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Again....don't hesitate to be critical and/or creative.

Bye bye, little Honda (snif)!

The HOT AIR coming out of the COOLING SYSTEM is heating the INSIDE of the
Coleman cooler and being sucked back INTO the cooling system! That slot
in the top isn't near enough cooling to keep it from destroying the
engine. It's breathing its own hot cooling air!!

NO, no no no NO!....

What you SHOULD have done was cut a hole and put in a piece of internal
ductwork the same size as the WHOLE hot air outlet around the exhaust,
that whole grillework where the hot air comes out around the muffler
inside the gen's case. On the OTHER end of the cooler, you should have
opened a hole to let outside air INTO the cooler, sucked in by the vacuum
the air blowing out the cooling air exhaust causes, which will fill the
cooler with COOL air, NOT its own hot cooling air. The intake should
have a little rain cover pointing down and open all along the bottom.

The slot in the top is totally unnecessary if you use the cooling I
describe, so no "cover" to keep the rain out will be necessary. Drill
some holes in the bottom of the cooler, say 3/4", so any water that
stands in the bottom of the cooler will simply drain out under it.

Just some clarification, Larry. The slot on the top is not for
ventilation. It exists only because the cooler was tall enough.
Ventilation comes from the drilled holes on the side and a 2 1/4 hole
near the power outlets. However, I agree more vents are needed.
Today, when running it, I will keep the top partially open and buy some
louvered vents to install on the side. I'm also thinking about putting
a small fan inside, sincere this is room on the power outlet side for
it. FTR, there is room on all sides of the unit...enough room for my
hand to switch it to on and pull the starter.

-Greg